Wednesday, October 3, 2012


I went to Nanjing this weekend. It has stuff like bunny shaped baked goods.

It's National Holiday in China, marking the end date of the Republic of China (AKA Taiwan), and the founding of the People's Republic of China (AKA, the current government). I guess before it didn't belong to the people? Well, whatever. Go big red.

Regardless of circumstances, I get a week off of work, so yay to whomever. Myself and 4 others decided to pop up to see Nanjing, aka the south capital. Seriously, that's what it translates to. Beijing means north capital. Not very inventive with names, the Chinese.

Perhaps known as the actual capital of China during the ROC years (1912-1949), and best known as the place where the Japanese got a bit nasty during WWII. AKA The Rape of Nanjing. Twas a bad time. I went to the Memorial/Museum, but I'd rather do a separate entry just on that to keep this one more upbeat. It's not good.

Anyway, modern Nanjing has a rep as a cool place. I will say this - it was cleaner than Hangzhou, but not as pretty. Does that make sense? Maybe it was just the weather, but the sky was more blue. Overall I honestly didn't care for Nanjing all that much. I mean, the trip was fun. But I wouldn't want to live there. It just seems, somehow, to have less character than Hangzhou. The subway's nice though. The next blog post will be about what we actually did there, but for now, I have to give the finger to Nanjing.

You sit on a flowery throne of lies
On three separate occasions, I/we got cheated pretty badly. I'm used to haggling in China. Honestly I love it. You negotiate, talk everything back and forth, get what you want, you both have a laugh, and go on your way. In Nanjing it's like that, except for the part when you get what you want. I had a nice conversation with a dumpling lady in Chinese that went as follows:

Meat dumplings please.
I only have two left.
No problem, two is fine.
2 RMB, thank you!
<bite>
These are cabbage dumplings.
Oh, I guess I had none left.
Soo... can I have my money back?
No you cannot!.

Other scams were a cab driver suddenly wanting the fare to mean "per person" instead of total. We overpaid a small amount because when we told him to get bent, he of course wouldn't give us change. And a guy who took money for a SIM card we didn't want, and refused to refund it.

So overall, I find Nanjing people to be more rude. Also the girls were not as cute as in Hangzhou/Shanghai. There, I said it Nanjing. Step it up, you're lacking behind in my stupid Chinese city ranking system. I'm on the internet, it's kind of a big deal.

Right, except nobody in Nanjing can see this.

No comments:

Post a Comment