Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Luang Prabang refills me with hope, and shows me the Laos I fell in love with at Vientiane. A beautiful, French inspired town high up in the mountains, it reminds me more of Bavaria than some Asian farming community. The drive up also was absolutely beautiful. Rolling hills and mountains as far as the eye can see. It is however quite a trek, and I got to practice my car sleeping abilities. When we stopped for lunch, we were in the clouds, and it was actually cold... ish! Maybe 10 degrees C. And the guy at the snack counter had the best English I've ever heard from someone in Asia. I swear, he just got off the goat from Chicago. Laos and Cambodia could teach a lot to Thailand, as their English abilities are far and away better.

I arrived in the late afternoon, and found a guesthouse. Off I went to see some of the sights - Wat Xieng Thong, which is fine but hardly deserving of its reputation. There are much prettier, and free Wats I passed like Wat Sene. I wanted to get up to the top of Phou Si Hill for sundown, and I did with maybe 10 minutes to spare. Amazing view of the city, lots of pictures were had. When I got to the bottom, the place had exploded into a night market. One of the most interesting night markets I've been to, everything was a fair price to start and you could haggle for more. I also found a buffet at 10000 kip a plate! I joined these other Germans and assembled a food mountain for $1.20. They're biking to Cambodia, from China. Crazy dudes. But seriously, Laos. I like you a lot.

Back at the guesthouse I had a new Laotian beer (which was better than Beer Lao!) and planned what to do the next day. It was then that I realized, perhaps due to the night, that my room was overrun with insects. After getting bit countless times I noped the heck out and found another, cleaner one. Lesson learned, check more carefully next time.

Next morning, I headed out to catch a tuk tuk to a crafts village, much like the one in Cambodia. They don't produce silk at this particular place, but they do weave it. My project was to make a bamboo placemat. Turns out its pretty gorram difficult! It's easy to lose track of what strand goes over, what goes under, and when. I struggled for a bit but eventually triumphed.

Back in the city, I went by a park to take a look at this big statue for the former leader of Laos. It's big. The other destination was a big temple I saw when I was up on Phou Si. Turns out distances can be deceptive because it was like a 7km walk. But hey, gotta shed that beer weight somehow. The view wasn't bad, but not as good as Phou Si's. I passed another Unexploded Ordinance Museum, but it was closed on weekends. I wasn't too upset, since I just saw one at Vientiane. Apparently UXO is a super big problem here. I'll stick to the main roads, thanks.

After was a visit to the Luang Prabang Museum / King's Palace. Slightly more entertaining than most meseums, I enjoyed the part showcasing the gifts other countries have given Laos over the years. The US gave the king an Edsel and some other giant Ford from the 50s. They also gave them moonrocks and a Laos flag that has been to space. Canada gave them a plate. Jeez, step it up, CANADA!

I stopped at a hostel run by the one I stayed at in Vientiane to pick up my bus ticket. Tree, the owner, let me use their restroom, chill out, and chatted with me for an hour. Amazing folks, all of them. If you're ever in Laos, stay at Sihome Backpackers and their affiliates.

I still had time before my bus, so I decided to walk 3 more kilometers to save the money on a tuk tuk. I passed the Chinese embassy on the way, which I thought was odd... this isn't exactly a big town. Then I turned a corner and ran into a massive supermarket, with all the writing in Chinese. I needed water, so I popped in. It was weird, to randomly stumble across Luang Prabang's Chinatown on the outskirts. While waiting in line, some guy asked a customer, angrily, "现在要不要?"

"I don't understand what you're saying!"

Then I got to play translator.

"He wants to know if you want it now."

"I just want to know the price."

"他要知道多少钱."

After all said and done we figured it out, but what about that translation chain? A Chinese guy living in Laos speaking Chinese to an American to translate to English for a Laotian.

Now at the bus station, I'm ready to begin the long journey back home. Seeya Luang Prabang and Laos! You are amazing people. This is one of the coolest trips I've been on, and I wish I could stay longer. As beautiful as this country is, it really lacks a lot of stuff to do. It'll last you a week or so, less if you hustle like I did. But it'll be an amazing week.

No comments:

Post a Comment