Tuesday, October 28, 2014

On the way to Luang Prabang, I decided to stop off in Vang Vieng. A sleepy town about halfway, it's now apparently filled with westerners who come to go tubing and other water nonsense. Since I have 0 interest in that, I came to see one of the caves they have. Before I got some lunch, fried veggie noodles. Amazing as always! Except, the guy tried to short change me, which was annoying. All the Laotian money looks the same, I didn't realize at first. Also, all the restaurants in Vang Vieng run DVDs of shows like Friends and Family Guy. This is so stereotypical of SE Asia, I'm surprised it's not more popular. For example, the taxis in Bangkok all have a "Metered" sign on them, which means jack shit. Apparently some company started doing it, and all the foreigners jumped all over it. So then, the other companies, likely with no idea of what or why, started copying that. I'd imagine that was the case in Vang Vieng. Someone said "Hey, those foreigners love those shows 'Friends' and 'Family Guy'."

"Then clearly we need to play it 24/7, without wondering the reason why, or if they like other things."

Anyway, off to the cave.

A short jaunt, the path winds through a rice field and the entrance was 10000 kip. I know that sounds insane, but 8000 kip is $1. So, np. On the way I met someone who volunteered to be my guide for 50000. The cave looked a bit treacherous, and I was the only person there, so I thought it was worth it to pay $6 than to potentially die. That proved to be a mistake.

Anyway it was a cool, albeit short experience. Khao Sok's was much better, but still, alright. My guide was very friendly, and I asked him what he thought of Laos. He said it was perfect. He was poor, but his life is easy. "I wouldn't live anywhere else!"

Upon exit, he now says since we used his light it's an extra 50000. I can buy a godamn light for 10000 in town, so I knew this was a ripoff. Unfortunately, he had 2 friends nearby, so I was a bit stuck. I asked him not to do this, and said fine fine, 30000. Gee. What a guy. Fuck him. On the walk out I told some other tourists to turn around, and I edited the Wikitravel page warning others to stay away. It's only a couple of dollars, so I'm not too angry, but I'm sure I cost them a heck of a lot more than if they just treated me fairly in the first place. So the revenge makes me feel a little better. Laos, you're doing it backwards - people in the city are supposed to be dicks, and the rural folk are supposed to be nice.

On the way back I craved a burger and fries, and that's easy to find with all the tourists. The first burger I've had in years to not come from McDonald's, it was pretty solid though not amazing. The price was though. After I stumbled across a Laotian concert, and bought their CD. Their music was fine, I guess, I just like the idea of Laotian merch. It will join the Cambodian pop CD in infamy.

Back at the hostel I met Cameron, a Canadian who's been here for 3 months. I asked him what he's been doing. He said nothing. This method of travelling continues to baffle me. You can sit around and not do shit anywhere. If you spent all the time and money to get out here, then you're just wasting your time.

Regardless we went out and hit up the small amount of nightlife to be had. Vang Vieng is exactly like Pai in Thailand, but with less to do. A bunch of young people with questionable hygiene, in the middle of nowhere, drinking until their money runs out. Which is nice for a night or two, but unlike everyone else I'm ready to get out and put my visa to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment