Tuesday, November 26, 2013

I'm writing it here for my own benefit, but I only have 3 months left in Taiwan. During that time, I want to do the following things:

1) Sun Moon Lake
2) Taoyuan (specifically downtown and the chocolate museum)
3) Thoroughly explore all the new MRT stations
4) Spend a weekend in Yilan
5) Go to that restaurant you found that is an English Pub but the food is Mexican
6) Eat at that BBQ place around the corner that looks good but a bit expensive
7) Go to that club that has a line running to the Taiwan Brewery
8) Travel to the end of the Pingxi Line
9) Go to that crazy restaurant under the Banqiao Christmas Tree
10) Finish all those crazy puzzles in the Children's Park

And that will wrap things up in Taiwan. With Tiffany leaving in early January, that gives me about 1.5 months (because of Chinese New Year) to finish out all of those things with my newly acquired free time.

Anyway I mentioned the new MRT stations because there is now a new MRT Line - the Xinyi Line, with a station right next to the 101. Jeez, that would've been convenient for all the times I've already been there. It also goes to a few more places, like Elephant Mountain. I've climbed Elephant Mountain before, but Tiffany decided to come along this time. I assume she had a lapse of judgement. It was a good climb, but a bit crowded in the beginning due to all the people. On the way down we passed a cat who did not seem to mind the crowds... or anything really. After seeing us he just stretched out as if to say "Petty humans, I am not afraid of you." Upon reaching the bottom we passed a restaurant called NOLA kitchen. I thought it was impossible until I checked the menu. Anyway yes, I had Chicken and Waffles, Tiffany had Jambalaya, and we shared. It was incredibly good. I wanted a Hurricane, but one drink was $14 US! Sheesh!

Also today was the beginning of the Christmas season, which is still not much of a big deal here. But they do have a Christmas tree in Banqiao, as well as some sort of opening concert - pretty much for kids however. I was amused by all the Christmas decorations on a big sign displaying the temperature - 22 C, or about 72 F. At night. In the rain. Hard to get in the spirit when you're wearing a T-shirt. Underneath the tree they had a bunch of restaurants, one of which prided itself on its beer selection. I will pride myself on drinking those beers one day.








And now for yesterday, it was off to an amusement park. I guess more like a children's park, but they had a Merry Go Round, Bumper Cars, Spinning Cups, that sort of thing. It was surprisingly cool. There was also this area full of old buildings and ancient life - but the real draw for me was this place full of puzzles. Block puzzles, string puzzles, you name it. It hurt my head to do some of these, and working together we only did about 25% of them. I want to go back one day and do them all.







On the way out though, was the real star of pretty much my entire life. First we turn a corner, and I see an old style English Pub. They had a bunch of beers available, and I was going to die of happiness at the thought of eating some Shepherds Pie. But they also have a section on their menu just for Mexican Food. Oh my god. This is the best restaurant ever. I suddenly felt incredibly sad that I had just eaten.

And as if the happiness wasn't overwhelming enough, right next to it is a coffee shop. A LEGO coffee shop. Half LEGO store, half caffeine, half baked goods. This store is so awesome it defies all mathematical sense. You can buy LEGO sets. You can buy any combination of bricks by weight. You can play in their giant LEGO pit. You can eat baked goods with LEGO Man shaped chocolate on top if it. They also had LEGO purses, which made me wish I was a girl. Anyway, I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.








1 comment:

  1. If I'm ever back in Taiwan I might have to visit the LEGO place. Seriously oh my god.

    ReplyDelete