Tuesday, November 25, 2014

This is more of a "housekeeping" sort of blog, because I don't have too much to report on my wild and crazy Asian life.

But, as excepted the mid-semester break is over and it's back to work. Kind of. I heard the 2nd semester was easier because the kids are always getting classes cancelled for some sort of thing. I mean, I'd guess last semester that number was around 10%, which I consider exceptionally high. So far, we're around 50%. There are some days where I just plain don't work at all, which is nice from a free time point of view, but I'm honestly starting to get quite bored. And when I do have lessons, I find myself kind of half-assing it. I don't want to be that guy that comes in and does the bare amount possible, gets his check, and leaves. I'm hoping it will pick it up a little bit at work - or maybe even better, at least have some sort of consistent schedule to get me motivated again. Cause you know, getting paid to watch movies is also nice sometimes. But I also repeat my mantra that Thailand really doesn't seem to take education seriously.

The first major cancellation was Sports Week, which is exactly that. 3 days of sporty sports, in hopes one team sports more than the other team sports. We were not expected to do anything, so, free time! Except for watching the giant parades with scantily clad girls doing sexually suggestive dances for 12-17 year olds, because Asia is hilarious. There was also Scout Camp for my young ones, and my older ones doing college prep. Which I get is important, but man, a whole week off from school to study? Sheesh.

In non work related nonsense, we also had a holiday, Loi Krathong. It's basically when you light a candle and let it float out into the water, and if it makes it to the other side your wish comes true. Then my question is, Thailand if you believe this why aren't there tiny, 1 foot wide canals set up for this purpose? Anyway, when in Rome. We tried to go to Asiatique, as supposedly it has the best view. Fuck. That. So many people, a confusing mess, we got on the wrong boat, and it was so densely packed even getting cell reception was nigh impossible. Instead we went to Lumphini Park, which was much nicer and we actually got to participate. One dude drove his candle over the lake with a remote control boat, which I mean, that dude does Loy Krathong right.

Hm, other things. I went bowling, a first for me in Asia, and a first period for Ella and another Thai friend. They were not that terrible, certainly better than my first bowling attempts. There was also some karaoke at some point, and there exists embarrassing photos of me that are/will be on Facebook. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

On more personal notes, Ella and I are both learning how to swim. She was taught very recently, and is passing that knowledge onto me. It's interesting that it's taken me this long to get around to learning, and while I think it's a nice skill to have, I can't imagine myself ever using it. Water stuff is just... meh. Don't care that much. Still I quite enjoy the experience of having a new method of travel open to me, cause ya never know when the only way to get that beer is to swim to it. In general, with all my free time lately I've been thinking of what makes me happy. And I think some of my happiest moments are hanging out with silly people that laugh a lot, even at the not funny things. I find that I meld into these laugh fests quite well, but I'm never the one to set that mood to begin with. So, future Weg - laugh more. Unless you're old and bitter already, in which case, tell those damn kids to get off your lawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment