Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Maybe I'm beating a dead horse, but Malaysia, bar none, has the fewest ATMs in the world. I don't know why in very poor places like Laos I can't walk more than 20 meters before tripping on an ATM, but to find one in Malaysia practically takes an act of god. I thought this was a shopping town. Do street vendors take credit cards and I just don't know it?

Anyway after much struggle I did find one, which included asking a lot of confused people. In one of the largest malls in the country, there was one ATM tucked back near the toilets. So odd.

I took the monorail to KL Central to get the commuter train out to Batu Caves. It's pretty cool they have caves on a metro line. The statue and entrance were quite impressive, but the interior and the shrine there were meh. On the way out I saw tours for "The Dark Cave", which sounded better. This was my favorite cave so far in Malaysia, because true to its namesake it's dark. When the flashlights were off, you could see absolutely 0. Our guide was quite funny, and made a lot of Star Trek references. He also said that almost every animal is unique to this place, including some gecko that was just discovered last year. Great experience overall.

Taking the train back, I looked online for anything at all that interested me, and came up totally blank. So after arriving at Central I got a coffee and people watched for a bit. I do really like KL Central Station, it's just a giant hub of activity and really is central - every possible form of transportation the city has terminates there.

After dinner, I went back to the hostel to socialize and drink the evening away with expensive beer. Actually the hostel has a pretty good deal, 6 ringgit on cans of Carlsberg. They're 8.4 at 7-11, so I'm not sure how they arranged that deal.

The next morning Heather had arrived, so we set out out to do the few cool things KL had to offer, and I deliberately avoided doing. First was Instana Negara. No, not "Instant Nevada", autocorrect.

Instana Negara was the Sultan's? King's? Royal Palace until the early 2000s. Now a museum, it's surprisingly low key, and much less opulent than Thailand's. To be honest the bedrooms were pretty... not good? Seems more like an old hotel from the 50s. They did have some really amazing bathrooms though, and it's own dedicated dentist's office. It's not exactly a place with 1000 rooms, so there are a lot of thing's I'd consider putting in my palace before a dentist's office. Guess the king or queen liked clean teeth.

Next was Tian Hou Temple, a pretty Chinese temple. It was pretty. We had lunch there and chilled out in the garden, complete with animals from the Chinese zodiac. We took a brief stop at the Planetarium I went to a few days ago, mostly for the free water and AC. Pressing on, The National Masque. A very impressive sea of white marble, stained glass, and fountains, it was really nice. They kindly entertained by stupid questions, and Heather had to wear the full on garb with the hair cover thingy. She looked like a nun, or a Tellatuby.


Nearby was Chinatown, so that's always an interesting place. Sort of. Despite KLs Chinese heritage, Chinatown is pretty small. I guess that makes sense, KL itself is a Chinatown. But yeah, really small. All selling the same phone cases, small electronics, you know the drill. Surprisingly not much food this time, but maybe because it was only 5 o'clock or so.

Grabbing the LRT, we went to KLCC, aka the Twin Towers Station. There were two guys in the station covering Beatles songs, and they were pretty good. They said they were from Taiwan, so I had to give them money. They didn't look Chinese though, probably of Hakka descent. After dinner we arrived by the twin towers at the perfect time. Just before sunset, we got to see them during the day and night. Even the 2nd time they're just as amazing. Probably the most beautiful buildings in the world, in my opinion.

We went back to Times Square, because I wanted to do pick up some things, and Heather wanted to do the indoor rollercoaster. Which, "indoor rollercoaster" are two words I'm glad I can legitimately use. It's up there with combos like "Bacon buffet" or "Free LEGOs".

And that's all for KL! It's... well it's one of the least interesting capitals I've ever visited. I suppose it has more to do than Vientiane, but Vientiane is about 1/20th the size. It seems designed for people not like me. Still, it was great to see! Here's hoping Singapore has a bit more to offer!

No comments:

Post a Comment