Saturday, January 7, 2017

Food food food! Alright, as promised, here is my Indian food entry. I have photos of almost everything we ate, minus a few exceptions like Akshardham (no phones allowed inside).


At the first hostel. Fried potatoes, paneer, and Indian-spiced meatballs. The meatballs were really good, but the other stuff just tasted like any other french fries.

A rare example of meat. The inside was potato, but the outside had bits of beef in it. Sort of a french fried beef nugget thing. Quite good, and surprisingly very spicy. This guy was just outside a mosque, which made the beef an appropriate choice I suppose.

Potato (see a pattern?) fry outside of Red Fort. HOLY crap, this thing was delicious. It was super flavorful, and sort of was like a tater tot curry. If there was bread I would eat this for every meal.

The other stuff tater tot curry guy made. They looked like deep fried butter sandwiches. Oh god India, you're going to kill me.

Super fluffy bread with a simple dal curry. It deflated as soon as you tore it. It was so-so, but the onion really brought out the flavor a lot. Definitely worth a go, especially at around 15 cents a serving.

Super fluffy bread! I'm sure someone will be able to tell me the name of it.

Chicken curry at a western place around the corner. I actually found it not terribly flavorful, and it had an overpowering number of cloves in it. Still, you can't go wrong with curry. Regardless, this was probably the most expensive and my least favorite meal.

A mutton wrap. Really good, especially with the green sauce. It was sort of a spicy mint, and was pretty amazing. I'd like to more meat to include mint, it really pairs super well.

Hello, dosa! I had quite a few on this trip, because they're cheap and delicious. The white sauce in particular I really thought went well with it. This was masala flavor, and the filling was pretty dope. Not bad for a bus stop restaurant.

Boazi in India?! They call them momos, and these had some sort of spicy vegetable inside. Really good, although I didn't like the sauce. The white was kind of mayonnaisey, and the red was just too spicy for me. 

Holy cow! This was my favorite meal so far. I got Rajisthani Gatta, which is a curry with little dumplings inside. I think made from chickpeas? Really awesome with shaved coconut on top, this was my favorite meal so far.

I loved the gatta so much I got it again the next day. Not quite as good, but still delicious. Ella got paneer, which was much better. Still, you can't beat the price. We both ate for about $1.

We were pretty full, so we had a streetside snack buffet. Starting from the top - I think goats milk cake thing, with almonds inside. Just a little sweet, I thought it was decent. On the right is pakora, which most people probably know. It's basically a fritter with a spicy green sauce. It was much better than any I've had in the States. On the bottom is some sort of carrot salad thing. It had a really distinctive flavor that seemed familiar, but I could never place from where. Still awesome though.

A fried bread not unlike a donut. I think it's called Chaloo? Something like that. The brown curry was really awesome. Also pictured is a Thumbs Up cola. Basically Coke with some Indian-like spices in it. It was unique for novelty sake but I think I prefer regular cola.

Let's keep this masala train going! Really nice snack, sort of like masala cheetohs. I would definitely eat this again if I found it.

I got mater (pea) mushroom, which was really good. The mushrooms especially, were super flavorful. Ella got potato tomato, which I'm not sure is Indian but pretty good. The roti at this place was really awesome, so overall it was a good mix.

Dosa delivery to the hostel. I got a Mysore version, and Ella got a paneer. The big bowl is vegetable soup that I thought was too spicy. The white stuff (chutney?) was awesome and what I mostly ate.

Rice with beans and onion. Simple, amazing, about 20 cents. Ella got a samosa, which, man, that green sauce is so good. It should come with everything.

The Indian National Museum was giving out food for some reason? Another somosa, along with fried bits. I think it was just dough. The ball thing was slightly sweet, with a sticky, caramely outside. Big fan of that.

Amit had us try this at a fair. It's a mix of different flours, and the onion/sauce really brought out the flavor.

I remember him saying it was a dish of another province (Uttar Pradesh?) but I don't remember.

Chicken kebab! Different than the style we have in Bangkok, it's definitely more spicy. The green sauce wasn't so good this time. The taziki is always great though.

We didn't eat here, I just thought it looked cool.

Fried chicken! At long last Ella found her favorite!

I order Chicken something-something. I promise the guy was super happy while he was cooking. I asked if I could take a photo, and he said "Sure!" Then when I did he looked super serious. Oh well, still good food.

The chicken something-something curry was super spicy, and my nose was going crazy after eating it. The bread I thought was especially good. It was kind of stretchy and thin, and had a ton of flavor.

I asked Amit what a Tandoori Bakra is, and why it costs 8800rs ($130). Turns out it's a whole goat. Cool.

Okay well, it doesn't look nice, but that's mutton mince. A few pics later shows how it's made. Really good, as always it had a ton of spices in it. A little greasy though.

Basically BBQ chicken, Indian style. Really delicious, not much more to say.

Alright, the bread on the right was giant and thick. It's sort of a naan bread for giants. The curry on the left was completely unlike any other curry I've had before. A mix of slightly spicy, but mostly sweet, it was very unusual. Also very oily, it was still delicious and super unique.

How they make the mutton rolls. On a railroad spike over a grill.

We got an Indian sweet that came in a glass. It reminded me of a Thai dessert, sort of sweet noodles in coconut milk. Thais would probably love it. I thought it was pretty good.

Fast food biryani - veg and chicken. By itself not so great, but the white sauce really added a kick to it. It was sort of a yogurty, taziki sort of thing that I would love to see more of.

Nachos?! Yes, for the final meal in India we got some Mexican food. Actually the salsa was pretty good, although the sour cream was just "cream". I've yet to find decent sour cream in Asia. The other is just a platter of different beans and peanuts. The lower right were peanuts with some sort of cinnamony spice, which I absolutely loved. Pictured is the first of many, many pitchers of beer they brew onsite. It was a "dark" lager. A little light for a beer, and especially for a dark lager. Still had a pretty good taste, and I would definitely go for it again.

Oh god, so much food. I have to think even with all the walking we did, we probably broke even. I would definitely get fat if I moved there.

No comments:

Post a Comment