Thursday, February 9, 2012

The past few days have been me repeatedly getting lost. Yesterday it was unintentional, and required me finding a cab to get my bearings. The day before that it was a "I'm going to explore this part of town, because I never have." kind of day.

It turns out, that was a pretty awesome decision. Unfortunately, you know how the last few posts have been about Spring Festival? Officially it's over, but it's fallout remains. Spring Festival is like a month long Christmas, and just now are stores starting to open again. Two of my favorite ones, a dumpling place a block from home, and my second favorite restaurant in the city are still closed. But alas, I decided to see where I wound up and if anything was still open.

I wandered into a hole in the wall kind of place that had these rice and meat dishes. There was no English, and I only recognized the word "meat". So I figured why not, and ordered that. It turns out the meat was lamb, which I haven't had in quite a while. It was actually quite good, and it came with some sort of fried bread. The whole time eating it I kept thinking that it tasted so familiar, but I was unsure from where. A few hours later I figured out I was basically eating an Izzy's Potato Pancake. Another great restaurant to add to the list.

Let's all enable our good modes!


Near this restaurant was another store that looked quite large, so I thought I'd take a look. It turns out there's basically a Walmart in my backyard that I never knew about. It's well within walking distance, and not to mention they have everything you could possibly need. The best part though, is all the Engrish you can find! I probably looked like a crazy person taking pictures of stuff on supermarket shelves, but so be it.




This coffee is not for men!

You wanna drink this at home? Too damn bad.



On the way back I came across a park that had a really impressive light display for Lantern Festival, presumably. It was all a bunch of families, but that didn't stop me from appreciating it. I'm sure this is a temporary thing, but it'd be pretty great if they left it up all year. There was also a bunch of dancing and noisy, flashy toys.



Caution! Do not let Dick Tracy's ghost walk your dog!

Stupid kids, getting all the cool toys... 

1 comment:

  1. The "Office Coffee" reminded me of this "Lay On Desk Tea" they had in the supermarkets and 7-11's in Japan!

    ReplyDelete