Thursday, April 26, 2012

Heeere we go! Day 2.

We had decided to go see the Propaganda Museum. Which, in a way is funny if you think about it. If China really did hold an indoctrinated populace with no freedoms, wouldn't it just be called "The Museum"?

It's right smack in the middle of two subway stations, so we decide to get off at the first one because "it seemed more interesting". We're walking along, eventually find the road, and the street numbers just skip right over the address we have. So we backtrack. Again, it's just not there. We double check, backtrack a third time. Double check the road. We are definitely in the right place. Where this "museum" should be, there are only apartments.

The Lonely Planet book we were using was a bit out of date, and cities in China can change really rapidly. So I figured that the museum is gone. We walked past the entrance again, and the guard there must have understood we were looking for something. He gave us a tiny piece of paper with instructions on how to navigate this apartment complex, to find the apartment containing the Propaganda Museum. Lo and behold, after taking an elevator in this one building, we found it.

It said no photos, but I've always maintained that signs are not the boss of me. What are they gonna do, give me a splinter? Go to hell, signs. So here's some photos. I don't really know what they're going for with the one above. I guess if they're trying to indoctrinate the people who love creepy babies, they're doing it right. The one on the right I'm especially fond of. I mean, I get the point. Big bad America is coming, and China's regular folk resist them. However we apparently learned all our lessons on warfare from Wile E Coyote. If we have a tank, why do we need to carry a bomb? I will say this though, we are the classiest soldiers out there. I always don my war top hat before manning my tank. Harump harump!

Afterwards we went to this big street market where you can buy everything under the sun. But on the way there, magic happened.

A good burger isn't exactly the most common thing here. Holiday Inn has one, but it's very expensive and not really that fantastic. Other than that your only choice is McDonalds, which is well, you know McDonalds. There was an advert outside a shopping center showing me the most beautiful thing in China.

In my head I heard a choir of angels sing when we found the place. I got a mushroom thickburger, and it was absolutely delicious.

So, after the sidetrack, back to the market. There really is just alleyway after alleyway of shops about the size of a cubicle. It's an awesome place to get lost in, and you can find anything under the sun there. Also you can haggle for everything (!) which I think is awesome. After for a brief snack at an Indian restaurant, it was back to the hotel to drop off our newly gotten gains, a rest, and off to dinner. Dinner tonight was at a cool Spanish place Lucy used to work at. Really swanky all around, it's a restaurant inside of an old Spanish villa from back in Shanghai's yesteryear. The food was great, and it filled that fajita gap that had been in my stomach for quite a while.

I'm feeling exhausted writing this, but the last stop was to a new bar that opened up called Adams. This may be my favorite bar that I've ever been to. It has a whole Adam and Eve vibe, with delicious drinks and a very enthusiastic owner. As we learned talking to him, Adam was a lawyer for one of my old job's competitors. He did it for years, decided lawyering sucks, so he moved to Shanghai to open a bar. I want to copy his menu and give it to every bar in the world. Lindsays drink was especially impressive, as it came with a glass of fog. What do you do with this fog? Well you refill your drink with it, silly. Why? Because it's awesome, that's why!

Whew! Day #2 down, only one more to go in beautiful Shanghai.

No comments:

Post a Comment