Thursday, April 12, 2012

Hi.

Apologies for not updating, but a slew of things have happened over the past few weeks. First off I was working really hard to get as much of my work as possible done before three friends visited me. Then of course while they were here, I didn't really feel like taking time away to write about it. Then they leave, and I start to catch up on all my work.

If you had told me at that time that in 36 hours I'd be back in Cincinnati, I would have said you're crazy. When I came home from work, I had 3 separate E-mails telling me to call home ASAP.

And I did.

And I was told me grandfather died a few hours ago.

And then I didn't know what to do.

I started to think that when he had died, I had just walked into my last class of the day. Everything seemed like it was out of a dream, that it's just not possible for something like thist to happen. Of course it did, but at the time it didn't really "sink in" I suppose. I went to sleep thereafter with a feeling of disbelief, but not sadness.

Then I thought more and more about going home. I did and I didn't want to at the same time. But I eventually concluded I only have two grandfathers in my life and I'm not going to get any more. So now, I make the call to work to tell them I'm leaving ASAP. Still no problems. It wasn't until I actually said, out loud, "My grandpa passed away last night." that it hit me all at once. Suddenly I was starting to get a bit choked up. And then I get word that dad got me a flight in the morning. Since the first train of the day wouldn't get me there in time, I had to go ASAP. As in, a few hours from now. So I quickly packed my things, all the while being a bit misty eyed and emotional. Before these were just some words from the other side of the planet. Now its real, I've said it, and this event is changing my life.

And now here I am. I learned most of the funeral responsibilities were delegated before I got here, but of course I'm still wanting to help if possible. It's still nice to see familiar faces and the same places. While it's great to catch up, I don't really feel that I can enjoy my time here as I would if I came home under better circumstances. I just want to trade all of this for my busy week of work back.

Aha, you looked! 10 RMB please
Sorry for not being that funny. Next time we will return you to your regularly scheduled broadcast of fun in Xiaoshan, Hangzhou, and Shanghai. As an apology, please accept these West Lake flowers.

-W

1 comment:

  1. I know man, my Granddad passed away about a year ago now. I just got a call that he had had a stroke over the night, and was in the hospital. My dad tried to downplay it, but I left work as soon as I could and drove halfway across the country. It took probably 20 hours of driving. And you just stay worried the whole time you are traveling.

    ReplyDelete