Sunday, February 23, 2014

Crazy busy week was also my week of goodbyes. After the weekend of silliness with James and crew, I was to meet Kenny, Miranda, and son Seven during their visit from China. They arrived in the afternoon, which left me the morning of Tuesday to come up with... whatever. There was one thing I had always meant to do in Taipei, to explore this part of town no MRT goes to, and that I had never been to before. I decided to do it by bike, but there are no bike rental stations anywhere near there. So I went to the furthest station out and started from there. That means this was not a short trip. I mean, it's not grueling by any means, but it probably took about two hours. And I'm sorry to report, but that part of town is pretty boring aside from one kind of nice park and this weird bird. I pulled up next to him at a stoplight, and he made this weird, click/squawk hybrid noise at me. I assume it meant something offensive, and I was insulted.

I was almost done when I got a call from the mainlanders to let me know they had arrived. I met them in Ximen, where their hotel was. After checking in, it was out to the always hilarious Modern Toilet restaurant. Seven seemed to think it was funny. Actually, I did too. A quick walk around Ximen, and then it was off for a farewell tour to Maokong. Maokong is my favorite place in the city, so I was glad to give it one last send off. Despite some rain, we managed to get some great views. I also got to enjoy my honey tea with a view of the skyline. On the way back we stopped at Zhinan Temple, and then to Shilin Night Market. I said goodbye to coffin toast, oyster omelettes, and hopefully goodbye to Taiwan Beer. God, maybe its lack of perspective but I'm starting to consider Coors Light to be the superior beer. I've had several Singha's lately, and they are so infinitely better. I'm looking forward to Thailand's beer - no matter what they have it'll be better. I'm 100% sure, because the only way to go from Taiwan beer is up.

Thursday I had some time before work, so I met up with James, Hashi, and Martin in Beitou, to hit up the hot springs. For lunch we went to this noodle shop, and Martin decided what they were to eat by closing his eyes and pointing at a menu. He landed on 1000 year old eggs. 1000 year old eggs are kinda gross. While not 1000 years, they are old fermented eggs. I have to wonder who came up with the process to make things like kimchi, and this.

"Hey man - this egg is fine, but you know what would make it better?"

"Nah dude, what's that?"

"If we put it in a clay pot, and bury it underground for a week."

"That's literally the best idea I've ever heard."

My life has been a little dull lately, so this sort of menu selecting silliness was something I've missed lately. James especially has an attitude of "everything is amazing", which is easy to get when you travel, I think. But it's something I've lost just by getting used to things when living here. I am hoping to glean some inspiration from him, and feel the same when I get to Thailand.

Anyway it was a little chilly that day, so the water felt amazing. The hottest also seemed especially hot that day, so we limited our time there to only 1 or 2 minutes. The thing I love about Beitou is that for the rest of the day, you have this feeling in your chest. Kind of like an airy, refreshing feeling. Or at least I have it. Maybe it's the heat. Maybe it's poisonous sulfur gas. I like it anyway. I had to run to work, but goodbye, James, Hashi, and Martin.

Back to the weekend, the Zhang family just made it back Kending, the Hawaii-like resort area on the southern coast. April came along, and we met them at Taipei Station to get some grub at one of the Japanese Hibachi restaurants there. We had a detour to a store that turned out to not be open, but I got to give them a proper goodbye. Thanks for visiting, guys. I wish I had more time to spend with you. And I'll see you in Bangkok.

The next day April and I went out to see Treasure Hill. Treasure Hill is a weird place. It was built for former soldiers who fled China, as thanks from CKS. There's not too many of them around anymore, so it's been converted into a weird, live-in artist kind of village. We wrote messages on straws they hang around, and in general just looked at all the weird, kitchy things around. (sigh) I really don't get art. After a rest and a walk by the Taipei Water Park (which is still closed - seriously Taipei, it's pretty hot out, despite that it's technically winter), we went to the Hakka Culture Park. It's a very pretty park, but nothing special.

After getting back home, the real excitement began. They had closed off a street near my house for god knows what. Apparently god does know, because it was some sort of religious parade. It involved 9 foot tall demon things dancing around with music. Which, is all well and good. They also had something a bit more bizarre. I've always thought Eastern religions make far more sense than Western ones - they're less in-your-face, fire-and-brimstoney. I compare it to a spa. You go when you have problems. No problems, don't go. No worries. This opinion was challenged, as the point of this ceremony was for a guy to be held down by his friends. Then some guy drank water and spit it at him a bunch. Then some lit incense was pushed against him. Then finally he got a spiky stick and hit himself in the head a bunch. Then he got to dance around and shout, with blood pouring from his head.

Asia, I'm revoking the "Your religion makes sense" award. I am sealing it away, and I'll give it to one with less spiky sticks.

Thailand countdown: 5 days

No comments:

Post a Comment