Sunday, February 16, 2014

I went out with James and friends again this weekend, and we were discussing life as a foreigner in an Asian country. One commented that when he sees another foreigner, there's almost like this instant kinship. He described it as "Someone you went to high school with, but didn't really know that well." I think that's incredibly accurate. It's this instant connection, bordering on friendship and acquaintance. As far as just life in general, someone coined the term "foreigner privilege", which I quite like.

Foreigner privilege is interesting. I commented on it a long time ago, when I was getting my Taiwanese Visa. Basically, when the immigration officer guy was asking me a bunch of questions, I really didn't want to deal with it and just wanted the thing done. So I pretended to not understand. And a few months ago, when my MRT card broke, I knew they were asking me what station I got on at to charge me accordingly. I chose to not understand, and boom, free pass. Or perhaps in Shaoxing, when your friend tells you to just look like you know where you're going and walk right past the ticket booth for a museum. These are things no local can get away with. It really is a privilege we have, that the locals say "I don't want to deal with this headache, just go about your business." It's something I certainly enjoy for the amusing stories, but also sometimes feel a little guilty about.

Sometimes.

Anyway this foreigner privilege was in effect again, as I got on the local news. No interview like there was a few months ago, but I went to 7 to pick up some water. While there, they asked me if I saw the big crowd on my way in. I said no, and they gesture across the plaza to some coffee shop that just opened. It's "Eastern Style Coffee", which I assume means Asia / Eastern Europe. Apparently for them it's 1970s America. The place is filled with models of old cars, and kitchy vintage American things. They also rented a bunch of really flashy sports cars to be out front, as well as 4 "American" models to show off the place. Looking at the models, they definitely were not American. They looked Russian or Eastern European, but I doubt anyone there could tell or care. A few locals wanted pictures with me, assuming I was part of the show. One of the bosses even told me to go over by the door, thinking I worked there. I was checking out the cars when the news camera swung in my direction to get a shot of me in the background of the local report. I might've stuck around, but I had to meet my friends and didn't want to be late.

Backing up to the night before, I was to meet James and his friends for dinner and head out to a local bar. April was coming with, and on the train there was this guy giving me the eye. After we got off, he ran up to me and in excellent English, asked me where Taipei Station was. I said we're on our way there, so feel free to come along. His name was Stephen, and was from the same district as I was - Xinzhuang. Stephen was a bit of an odd fellow, telling me how he loves English and American culture very much, while playing music on his tablet that he fancied. I guess I should be flattered, and I was, but not because he adored the culture I dislike so much. Rather, that a local actually was willing to talk in a public place. I really don't like how quiet Taiwanese are on public transport, so it was very refreshing. Funnily enough, he didn't give April the light of day. He seemed to stick to me like glue, eager to show off his Celine Dion collection. If he wasn't so "in your face", I would've wanted to Facebook him. But, nice enough anyway.

Back at Taipei Station, James and his friends were running a bit (read: extremely) late, and he called and wondered if April and I wanted to meet his friend and go to dinner before them. Why not? Kristen is Korean, currently studying in Taipei. After a lot of telephone tag, we eventually met up with this stranger and had dinner at the Main Station. She's incredibly nice, and surprisingly talkative for someone who just met this weird foreigner minutes before. While eating James and his friends, Martin and Hashi, met up with us. After that, it was off to the bar I was at last week. It sounds depressing, but that place never gets old. Everyone is really awesome and talkative, and gives me hope for Taiwanese shyness - apparently you just need to get some alcohol in them.

The next day everyone, plus new friend Michael, saddled up to go to Tamshui for the day. For me, I was super excited to get my curry corn. James was on a mission to find some high school where some Jay Chou movie was held. After much wandering around this high school, we did find it. As someone who has never seen the movie, I felt incredibly confused. But at least one classroom was unlocked, so we got to play around in that. We did the typical sights of Fort San Domingo, the Fisherman's Wharf, ate a giant chicken steak, and took a boat back to Tanshui - stuff I've written about before. After that, we went to Longshan Temple to check out the snake dishes. Deeeelicious. We actually didn't eat them because they're extremely expensive. But while Michael left us, we picked up two more friends - Louis and Ada. It turns out Ada is pretty much my next door neighbor, which was amusing. I also found her Chinese incredibly easy to understand. She probably went easy on me, but still, I was able to hold a coherent conversation with her. Thank you, Ada. We ducked back to the always impressive Ximen, and then to the always interesting Snow King Ice Cream shop. The beer ice cream was ordered again this time, along with banana, guava, and papaya flavors. Although a little expensive, you'd be hard pressed to find a more unique ice cream shop anywhere in the world. Ada left us after, and the rest went to some of the bars in Ximen for some drinks. We all had to go our different directions after, but it was an interesting day to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment