Friday, May 9, 2014

Krabi's so so. As more and more people got off the bus, eventually it was just myself and one girl from Australia. She had just graduated high school and is travelling by herself for 6 months. I find that hilarious. I envision my cousin, around the same age doing that, and no way in hell her parents letting her. Anyway the bus stopped and the driver said "Alright, here's Krabi. But it definitely wasn't. It was on the side of the road still 5km away. So I refused to get off. He said okay okay, pulled the bus into a U-turn, stopped at some dimly lit parking lot, and said "Okay, Krabi." After much arguing it seemed we didn't have a choice, this is where it stops. So we decide to split the outrageous cab fare into town. Also, I wasn't going to leave some 17 year old girl alone in a dark parking lot in rural Thailand.

Bring late, there wasn't much to do. Found a guesthouse, then we went out to the local market. Except they were just closing. I wanted to catch the early ferry to Ko Phi Phi, and climb up to the Tiger Temple - so I hired the innkeeper's son for the morning.

The Tiger Temple is pretty impressive. It's ~1250 steps to the top, a tiny outpost on the top of this skinny mountain. The way up was covered with monkeys, so I thought "Damnit, getting bit again." But it was incident free despite an absolutely exhausting 45m climb. I tried to keep pace to make the ferry, but wow, I was spent by the top. Amazing view though. After going back down we stopped at another temple, then it was onto the port to go to Koh Phi Phi.

Koh Phi Phi is amazing. They say it's the most beautiful island in Thailand. It is definitely that. There's a lot of water sports to do, which I wasn't interested in. For one time in my life, I was just going to do nothing. I met up with Jeppe, a guy I ran into in Bangkok and Chiang Mai. He was kind enough to share his bungalow with me. The first day, we went to the beach and just hung out at a bar all day. We chatted with the owner and the kids that work there. The kids also are the performers in the daily fire show. Yup. Kids working at a bar instead of going to school, and playing with fire in the evening. That evening was the fire show, which was a bunch of people doing acrobatic things with balls of fire on chains, torches, ropes, etc. It was totally awesome, and lasted like 3 hours. They had a lot of audience participation, and each time you got a free shot. I jumped the fire rope, and on the way out it singed my ear. Nothing serious, but I also noticed it burned off a bit of my hair. Eh, I needed a trim anyway. The rest of the night was a giant beach party.













The next, hungover morning, I was more determined to do nothing. Jeppe and I had found a buffet the previous day, and ate our fill with what is honestly, the best deal on the island. After I wanted to go to a beach with no people. I found a pretty isolated looking one on Google Earth, and was going to try and go there. Jeppe declined, as his toe got scorched and hurt to walk. Turns out this beach was about an hour hike through village, forest, and jungle. But I made it, and nope - 0 people, except for... A bar. Yup, one guy running this bar in the middle of nowhere. His beer was expensive, but I talked him down by renting one of his chairs also. I just hung out on the beach, watching the waves in silence. Well, except for the waves and birds. And I built a sand house for a hermit crab I found. We became BFFs.

That evening was bar hopping and watching the football game - a great end to a great island. I don't like to visit places twice, but Koh Phi Phi is an exception. An amazing, beautiful place that everyone should try and make it to.

No comments:

Post a Comment