Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Well. Way to fuck it up.

I don't mean Trump supporters. I mean the anti-Trump crowd. This was Hillary's election to lose, and she did. For as crazy as his campaign was, the Republican base did more or less get behind him. As far as the Democrats? Well, too many of them did not want Hillary to be President. Some of them were bummed over how they treated Bernie. Some of them upset over the E-mails. Some of them just didn't like her. Regardless of how you feel or justify it, a non-vote for Hillary was a partial vote for Trump. Because that's the way our messed up, first past the post system works. I don't like it either, but refusing to play Monopoly at all does not mean you win. (actually, perhaps for Monopoly it does - bad analogy, Monopoly sucks).

This isn't meant to be an "I told you so", because I didn't. I didn't expect this, and nobody else really did either. It's more of a "Hindsight is 20/20". The left did a great job of dismissing Trump supporters as ignorant/racist/sexist/violent etc. And there is evidence to support that. But even if that is the case, they are Republicans. And they likely were in the last election, and the one before that. And instead of reaching out to them, the left lumped everyone together and called them names. After that, the Trump supporters didn't say "Oh yes, excellent point. I will reconsider everything I know." They just turned inwards to their bubble. Instead of reaching out, trying to understand, and connect with the not-so-insane members of that group, the left also practiced the intolerance they claimed to be against. They dismissed them, and went back to their curated social media. But those people get to vote. Is it any surprise that people labeled as such would not be honest to pollsters? Which, sidebar, wow, the pollsters messed this one up BADLY. They are going to need to seriously rethink everything they know for the next election.

So now here we are. People are upset, and I suppose that's expected. But then I see the same sort of rhetoric that they derided the Republicans are in the past 8 years. "We're going to block the Republicans with the filibuster" "Impeach Trump", etc etc. You complained that nothing got done under Obama, yet you're advocating for the same environment. It's alright if nothing gets done when you don't want it, I suppose.

Like it or not, he is our President for the next four years. And I don't mean to sound preachy, I don't like it. I voted against Trump, because he has done many things I find deplorable. Too deplorable to represent the country I want to be associated with. And without rhetoric or sarcasm, I'm scared. I feel his temperament, to use his expression, is way too hot headed for someone to control the most powerful force on Earth. I'm also scared that the racists, xenophobes, and whatnot that did support him have now been granted legitimacy. But government reflects what you put into it. If you don't like the results, remember to vote again in 2 years. In the meantime, we're on this crazy ride so let's focus on the positives. There has never been anyone remotely like Trump before as President. Maybe he is the exact thing we need to cut through all the partisanship, corruption, and obstruction that has come to be the US government. I don't think so. But we'll see.

.
.
.

Also, as on Facebook the offer is totally open for you to come to Asia and start a new life over here. It really is as easy as I make it out to be, and from my perspective, 100x better.

No comments:

Post a Comment