Wednesday, January 30, 2013


How about some Taipei sightseeing?

I figured I should start by seeing the guy who made this damn country. The "Generalissimo" Chang Kai Shek.

Brief Chinese history lesson - They had a civil war in 1949. CKS lost. He ran away along with 2 million people to Taiwan, which they got back from the Japanese in WWII a few years prior. The country was under martial law until 1987, after which it opened up and was the land full of happiness and sunshine it is now. Depending on who you ask CKS was the best thing since noodles or a giant asshole. Either way, he's got a big house to chill in for eternity.


As you can see by the scaffolding, the place looked closed. But I ran into a couple who teach English in Korea, and one of them is from Nashville. Seriously, what's up with all these Ohio Kentucky Tennessee folk coming out here?

Anyway it turns out the place isn't closed. We saw the guys car and a few other things, then popped on up to see the changing of the guard. I believe this changing was approved by the Ministry of Silly Walks.

I said bye to my new friends and went over to see Sun Yat Sen's old place. Its really just a building in a park, but it's a nice park. They were doing some kind of photoshoot with a traditionally dressed Chinese lady there. I ask some guy taking photos if it was alright if I did. He said "I don't know", as in "Ya got me man, I'm just a tourist also." So take I did.

You have to take off your shoes to go inside, which honestly felt pretty good after walking around. But god help the people who had to smell my feet. There were no photos allowed inside, but honestly it was pretty unimpressive.

By then it was getting late so I went back towards the subway. There's a great night market near my place that pictures don't do justice. Some of the best noodles of my life from an old lady sitting on the curb. Mmmmm.

6 comments:

  1. They were mixed in with a bunch of veggies and meat. They tasted a little sweet, like there was some sugar or because of the sauce. Pretty scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks nice and warm compared to here. Jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So where there already people here when CKS and his 2 million followers came to Taiwan?

    ReplyDelete