Monday, November 28, 2011

Figures my 2nd full day here, and I get home so late I just want to crash. Head cheese Kyle and I went out to a Japanese place a bit into town. Cab fare? 10 RMB, which is about $1.50. My western decadence laughs at that piddly sum.

Speaking of the Japanese place, it's a really swanky ordeal. It's exactly like a regular restaurant, except nothing has prices. You just pay one amount, and then everything on the menu you want is yours, as much as you want. Even sake and alcohol are included. It was definitely my favorite meal thus far here, and I managed to find a sake I actually like - this one was of the chilled variety, so maybe that is the key. Even better though, they have Japanese beer! It's not this watered down piss the Chinese drink, its imported! I'm really loving that place, and as soon as I remember what the hell it's called I'll be back again.

Kyle and got to talking quite a bit, and he seems like a nice enough fellow. He's really into what he does, perhaps a bit dry, and overwhelmingly so. But outside of work, he's a nice guy with a wealth of experience in China, and we geeked out on sci-fi and anime for a bit. He even pulled out his laptop at the table and hooked me up with the latest two Walking Dead. I mean, if that doesn't speak volumes, what does? Afterwards we went to a bootleg DVD shop. Backstroke of the West, unfortunately absent.

I spent most of the day hanging out at the school, brushing up on some English grammar I haven't seen in name since High School. I got to further meet the gal that picked me up from the airport, Yllen. Not a misprint there, its pronounced like "Illan", or "Ellen", fuck all if I know - I've heard it both ways. Anyway she's the only other American there, and we got to explain to the Brits and South Africans what tailgating was. She's also from Florida and incredibly attractive. Maybe that last statement comes back to bite me if she Facebook stalks, but so be it. She's an incredible person who has a knack for this line of work, and I could learn a lot from her.

Wouldn't luck have it, I fly to the other side of the world and fall for another American. Speaking of American, today's photo is of the lunch she and I grabbed today - it's hard to get more Uncle Sam than that.


No comments:

Post a Comment