Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Whew!

This morning I got to go with Sophia to the hospital to do some medical tests for the insurance. First off, I'm not dying. Second of all, their hospitals are hilarious. Unlike US hospitals, every doctor has their own office, and you go to see them one by one - like changing classes in school. They work so fast, it feels like you're a cog in an assembly line. Everything is so neat and tidy though, it really is somewhat exhilarating to go from station to station so quickly. I even got to have an ultrasound done, and I am happy to report I'm not pregnant. The only part that gave me pause was the electrocardiogram. They started to place electrodes all over me while I was laying on a table. This included little wires on my chest and clips on my ankles. I mean, dying via electrocution at a Chinese hospital - never saw that coming.

After that we took a cab back to school. As part of the medical tests I was not allowed to eat in the morning, so I was quite famished. I went out to a cafeteria around the corner, although Sophia declined to join me. This was the first time I've ever ordered and eaten by myself since I got here. As silly as it sounds, it feels like quite the accomplishment. I had some sort glazed potatoes, and the real star, mushrooms in a white sauce. They were BIG mushrooms too, unlike the white buttons we have at home. Anyone who knows me knows how much I enjoy mushrooms, so I was quite the fan. I hope they have that again, as it's quite convenient and cheap.

After getting back home Yllen offered to take me around a bit to Tesco, and then some other big grocery store in the area. I finally was able to get some essentials, along with a lot of gin and vodka. That will be put to use when the gang comes over to hang out tonight. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone outside of a professional setting.

So speaking of which, I need to start cleaning in preparation. Instead of a picture today I took a video - my walk from the school to the cafeteria I had lunch at. For some reason Youtube decided to flip it, so don't be confused when you see some backwards signs - not that you could usually tell anyway.


2 comments: