Sunday, December 4, 2011

So much happened, I'm not sure where to begin. For starters, I taught my first class today. Surprise! I went in fairly unprepared for the chaos that ensued, but by the end of it I think (hope), a bunch of 11 year olds know some new adjectives. The hardest one was explaining "wrinkled" versus "smooth", because my example was an old man and a young baby. Probably not the best choice, so I got them to crumple a piece of paper to turn it from smooth to wrinkled. Then of course I had to toss the wadded piece of paper at a student, and "War were declared". After a minute or two of paper combat, I think I established my reputation as the fun teacher. I'll get to see next time if I'm also the effective teacher.

After work, Kyle took me to another big supermarket here in town called Carrfour. It's apparently a French company, and it's the closest thing they have to a Walmart. It's actually a pretty respectable size, and I was able to pick up some Frosted Flakes, REAL COFFEE, and peanut butter there. Combined with the jam, milk, and bread I got at the local store, I was able to have myself a proper Amerucian breakfast this morning.



Fuck yeah.

I make coffee such a big deal because they don't know what coffee is here. I'm not trying to be a coffee snob, but when your country's entire experience with coffee is Nescafe instant powder, even someone who goes to Starbucks once a month is on par with some iPad toting hipster savant in the States. They just had Arabica, not really my favorite, but it did taste almost like real coffee. It's not exceptionally expensive either, just uncommon.

I also got to use Mandarin for the first time today, outside of "ni hao", and  pointing and saying "chuga" (that). The nice lady that does laundry from this stall on the street said something to me, and I said "Wo bu hui shoi potunghua" (I don't speak Mandarin). She laughed and tried to tell me something I think meant "one". Maybe "one day"? No idea, but my shirts smell and look amazing. Only cost about $8 for almost my entire wardrobe. I think she and I will become good friends.

A lot more to write, but it'll have to wait for another day. I have a lot of clothes to put away.




No comments:

Post a Comment