Monday, December 12, 2011

Crazy bastards!

Today is the start of the weekend over here, so my coworkers and I decided to head out to find a beer. We plan to meet up with a friend of ours from another school. He says to meet him at this street, and we all hop in a cab and do so.

In the interim, we meet a Scot who is shitfaced drunk. He gets some beers at the convenience store, and borrowing one of their tables and shipping crates, sets up in the middle of the sidewalk in front of this place. He buys so much though, the owner just shrugs it off. The Scot came with his friend, an Isreali. So now we have 3 Americans, an Isreali, 2 Phillipinos, and 2 Brits all sitting around this table, drinking beer in the middle of the sidewalk while people are walking past. I reflect on the absurdity of this situation.

Well it was pretty godamn cold. So the Scot calls a friend of his who owns a pool hall/bar to see if we can come on over. He says sure, but doesn't have any beer. No worries! The Scot puts the bar owner in touch with the convenience store guy, he arranges for some cases of beer to be delivered. So he loads up his van, and since we're going anyway, he gives us a lift.

It's a delivery van, so of course there are no seats. The driver puts in a CD of classical music. When I say classical, I mean Beethoven classical. We start popping open some beers and carrying on. So I'm in a Chinese delivery van, drinking beer with a Scot and Isreali I've known for 15 minutes, listening to Beethoven while being driven god knows where. I again reflect on the absurdity of this situation.

So we arrive at this place and try to cram into the elevator. We put the elevator over the limit, so an alarm goes off and it breaks. We take the stairs and apologize. Oops!

I wish I had a cool story for the bar, but it was pretty mundane. Drinking, beer, etc. But they're starting to close, we all start to go home. I left a bit earlier to look for a cab. I wait about 15 minutes with nary a cab passing by, when this dude on a bicycle shows up. Let me tell you about Tut Tuts!

Tut tuts are basically bicycles built for two (three?). I don't think they're entirely legal, but the government can't really go around banning bicycles with a seat on the back. I tell the guy my street, he nods in agreement and off we go. I still had my beer from the bar, so I again ponder on the absurdity of my situation. I paid a Chinese man to pedal me back home Flintstones style while I sit here and drink.

I get back home, pay the guy 20 yuan for his troubles. This is about double what a cab fare would cost, but he was really nice and it was uphill. Poor fella.

Scots. Awesome people.

No comments:

Post a Comment